Sunday, May 14, 2006

50 Wisdom

In a small town where I once lived, the marquee at an insurance office displayed the saying: A smart man learns from his mistakes; a wise man learns from other’s mistakes. I like to think I’m smart, but after reading that, I would rather be wise. It’s a quality I have hoped to instill in my children, but I think the folly of youth trumps the concept. I have no excuse; I am far from young.

In the Book of Mormon, Nephi teaches a great folly to which men are susceptible: O the vainness…and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the council of God…

Mortality is a delicate thing. We must be wise with the time we are given and learn from the mistakes of others and fail not to hearken to the council of God. Eternity depends on it.

No comments: